- Some Amazon UK customers claimed they had their PlayStation 5 pre-orders marked as delivered on Thursday, the console's UK launch day — despite their consoles never arriving.
- Some claimed that they instead received other random products they had never ordered, including a coffee machine, foot massager, and cat food.
- Amazon UK did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
- Sony's PS5 console has proved near-impossible to order in both the UK and the US, where eager fans have repeatedly crashed Walmart's website.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Some customers who pre-ordered Sony's new PlayStation 5 from Amazon UK claimed that their new consoles didn't arrive on Thursday, despite the platform marking them as delivered.
Some of those buyers said their PS5 had seemingly been substituted products they had never ordered, including a coffee machine, a foot massager, and cat food.
Freelance journalist Bex April May tweeted that Amazon had marked her PS5 order as "missed" at around noon Thursday, but no attempt at delivery had been made.
That evening, she received a parcel from Amazon — containing an "unsolicited" air fryer.
After May posted about her experiences, several other Twitter and Reddit users came forward with similar claims.
Multiple people said Amazon marked their PS5 orders as "delivered" without this actually being the case.
One Twitter user claimed that an Amazon order did arrive – but he opened the PS5 box to find it was empty. He said that Amazon hadn't helped him and didn't offer to replace the console.
Others claimed to have had similar experiences to May with unexpected products turning up instead. The received items ranged from a coffee machine to a foot massager to cat food in place of the PS5.
Amazon posted the following tweet in response to the user who said they received cat food.
One customer explained that after informing them of the fake delivery, Amazon told them to wait for 48 hours, after which the platform would either refund the customer or ship them a new one.
Read more: How the 'father of the PlayStation' is using his playbook from Sony in his new role as CEO of AI-backed startup Ascent Robotics
"But there isn't any stock," the Twitter user explained, "so I guess I'm not getting the PS5 I ordered two months ago."
Another user claimed to have had a similar experience after the Xbox series X was released last week. Eight hours after Amazon said it had delivered their new console, the user said they got a package containing bedsheets.
Amazon UK did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
Sony's new console has proved nearly impossible to get hold of in both the UK and the US. On Thursday, the PlayStation 5 frenzy crashed Walmart's website.
Click here to receive a FREE download of The Top 5 Disruptive Trends Shaping Transportation and Logistics from BI Intelligence, Business Insider’s premium research service.
Source: Read Full Article