PIP claimants must report life changes or risk losing £157 a week

DWP owed man £10,000 reveals Money Buddies CEO

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

PIP is the primary disability benefit payment which is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It is designed to assist people with the financial difficulties that arise from having a long-term health condition or illness. However, to continue claiming payments, claimants must report any circumstance changes to the DWP or face missing out on up to £157 a week.

How much is PIP?

The benefit payment is split into different parts: a daily living component and a mobility component which go towards the payment of different things.

For each of these components, there are two different rates of payment, higher and lower, which are awarded depending on the severity of someone’s disability or condition.

For the daily living component of the PIP, the lower weekly rate is currently £61.85 and the higher rate stands at £94.40.

Comparatively, the disability payment’s mobility component is £24.45 for the lower weekly rate and £64.50 for the higher rate.

READ MORE: 70 health conditions qualify for extra £156 a week in PIP from DWP

If someone were to be in receipt of the higher weekly rates of both components, a PIP claimant would receive £156.90.

What needs to be reported to the DWP?

Any major change in someone’s individual circumstances must be reported to the Government department.

This is because someone’s payment could be impacted by it and the DWP would have to make a further decision.

Those who want to report a change can phone up the PIP enquiry line to do on 0800 121 4433.

On the Government’s website, the following scenarios are shared as examples of when people should report to the DWP:

  • If someone’s personal details change, for example a name, address or doctor
  • If the help they need or condition changes
  • If their condition has worsened and they are not expected to live more than six months
  • If they go into hospital or a care home
  • If they go abroad
  • If they are imprisoned or held in detention
  • If someone’s immigration status has changed, they are not a British citizen

How to report a change to the DWP

All affected PIP claimants are encouraged to inform the Government department of any life changes as soon as possible.

Once this is carried out, the DWP will inform how it will affect the claimant’s payment and whether it will be reduced or raised.

To report a change, claimants will need to share personal information with the department as part of the process.

These include:

  • A claimant’s full name
  • Their date of birth
  • Their national insurance number
  • The date the change happened or will happen
  • The change that has changed

On its website, Citizens Advice shares advice for those wanting to report a circumstance change to the DWP.

The charity stated: “It is a good idea to keep a written record of the fact that you’ve reported the change to the DWP. For example, in case the DWP disagrees that a change has been reported.

“If you report the change by phone, make a note of what you said and when you called. If you write to report the change, keep a copy of the letter.

“Ask the Post Office for free proof of postage – you might need to show when you sent it.”

Source: Read Full Article