- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said she believes Trump's coronavirus medication has put him in an "altered state."
- Pelosi's comments come after she and Rep. Jamie Raskin announced plans to introduce a bill that would create a commission to evaluate the mental and physical health of the president in a time of crisis.
- The move prompted President Trump to attack Pelosi on Twitter on Friday, tweeting: "The Dems want that to happen fast because Sleepy Joe is out of it!!!"
- Even though Pelosi has said she will introduce the bill, she doesn't necessarily have a lot of power to make that happen.
- The president told Fox News on Friday that he is "medication-free."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said she believes Trump's coronavirus medication has put him in an "altered state" as she announced plans to possibly strip the president of his powers under the 25th Amendment.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Pelosi and Rep. Jamie Raskin said they plan to introduce a bill creating a commission that would evaluate the president's mental and physical health in a time of crisis.
The panel, known as an Oversight Commission on Presidential Capacity, would "help ensure effective and uninterrupted leadership in the highest office in the Executive Branch of government," Business Insider reported.
"Clearly, he is under medication. Any of us who is under medication of that seriousness is in an altered state," Pelosi said, according to the Guardian.
"He has bragged about the medication that he has taken, and again, there are articles by medical professions saying this could have an impact on judgment," she added.
The 25th Amendment, which was ratified by Congress in 1967 after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, formally outlines the transition of power if the president is unable or unfit to serve.
It states that, if the president dies, resigns, or removed from office, the vice president will become commander-in-chief.
Even though Pelosi has said she would introduce the bill, she doesn't necessarily have a lot of power to make that happen. According to a Business Insider analysis, the move would require both chambers of Congress to create a body with the power to override the Cabinet and remove Trump.
Pelosi also argued the legislation "is not about President Trump" or the election, according to the Guardian.
"This is not about President Trump. He will face the judgment of the voters but he shows the need for us to create a process for future presidents," Nancy Pelosi said, the Guardian reported.
The move prompted an angry Twitter rant from Trump, who responded on Friday: "Crazy Nancy Pelosi is looking at the 25th Amendment in order to replace Joe Biden with Kamala Harris. The Dems want that to happen fast because Sleepy Joe is out of it!!!"
President Trump tested positive for COVID-19 last week and spent several days in Walter Reed Medical Center before being discharged on Monday evening.
However, Trump's behavior since leaving the hospital has left White House aides concerned.
Speaking in his first on-camera interview with Fox News on Friday, the president said he is "medication-free" and that he would donate plasma to help other coronavirus patients if asked.
Source: Read Full Article