Martin Lewis explains ‘very lucrative’ way for married Brits to get tax refund – ‘do it!’

Martin Lewis reveals how to claim marriage tax allowance

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert, was back on the small screen this week, offering the latest money saving tips and tricks to Britons. Covering a wide range of topics, Martin turned his attention to a tax refund available for Britons in a married couple or civil partnership, after someone shared their own personal experience. A viewer, Pat, explained her success story to Martin via social media, and it could help others benefit.

She wrote: “After watching your previous series, we received a tax refund of nearly £1,000 by claiming  my tax allowance against my husband’s back to 2016. Many thanks.”

Martin celebrated Pat’s actions, and drew more attention to the matter she was writing about.

He explained Pat was able to claim through the marriage tax allowance.

This is a system which could help many married and civil partners with their Income Tax bill each year.

Martin said: “Of course, we’re now in a new tax year, and you can go back four tax years on it.

“This could be for you are a married couple or civil partnership, not common law, as living together doesn’t count.

“If one of you is a non-taxpayer, and one of you is a basic rate taxpayer, then the non-taxpayer can give 10 percent of their tax-free allowance to the other person.

“It’s worth about £250 this year, and you can go back four years.”

Money saving: How Britons can manage their money in later life [EXCLUSIVE]
Nationwide is offering 2% interest rate in great news for savers [INSIGHT]
Martin Lewis issues urgent warning to Britons on SEISS fourth grant [UPDATE]

HMRC officially states the scheme will let eligible people transfer £1,260 of a personal allowance to a husband, wife or civil partner.

Under current rules, this means a reduction of tax by up to £252 each tax year – which runs from April 6 to April 5 the next year.

However, Martin highlighted a slight change to the system, while urging people to take action on the matter. 

He concluded: “The past years have been done by cheque, this year will be done by tax code change.

“It’s very lucrative, if you’ve not done that there’s over 1million people who aren’t doing it.

“And I would do it, as you could get over one grand, just like they did!”

It is free to apply for Marriage Allowance, but this should always be done through the official Government channels.

This is because this is the only way Britons can receive a guaranteed 100 percent of the sum to which they are entitled.

As Martin explained, individuals can expect their tax code to now change to reflect their Marriage Allowance claim.

A tax code will end with ‘M’ for the person who is receiving the allowance.

However, for the individual who is transferring the allowance, a tax code will end in ’N’. 

Britons can also expect their tax code to change if they are employed, or receiving a pension. 

Individuals will still be able to claim even if they are receiving a pension, which means older couples can even benefit.

In addition, those who live abroad could also apply for Marriage Allowance, as long as they actually receive a Personal Allowance.

However, HMRC does state that if a person or their partner was born before April 6, 1935, they could benefit more by applying for a different scheme.

This is known as Married Couple’s Allowance, and can reduce a tax bill by between £353 and £912.50 per year.

It is worth noting, though, that a claim for Marriage Allowance and Married Couple’s Allowance at the same time cannot be actioned. 

Martin Lewis is the Founder and Chair of To join the 13 million people who get his free Money Tips weekly email, go to

Source: Read Full Article