The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has stopped a multiyear study of strategies and projects meant to protect the New York City region against catastrophic storm surges and rising seas.
Environmentalists and policy makers received an email from theCorps saying that a Feb. 27 meeting had been canceled, and that work on the study had been indefinitely postponed. “Activities related to the New York New Jersey Harbor and Tributaries Study are suspended until further notice,” it said.
50,820 Million metric tons of greenhouse emissions, most recent annual data +1.14° C Jan. 2020 increase in global temperature vs. 1900s average -4.07% Today’s arctic ice area vs. historic average 45% Carbon-free net power in the U.S., most recent data 0 6 5 4 3 2 0 3 2 1 0 9 0 7 6 5 4 3 .0 6 5 4 3 2 0 0 9 8 7 6 0 1 0 9 8 7 0 1 0 9 8 7 0 8 7 6 5 4 0 5 4 3 2 1 Parts per million CO2 in the atmosphere
$81.9B Renewable power investment worldwide in Q4 2019 0 3 2 1 0 9 ,0 9 8 7 6 5 0 2 1 0 9 8 0 5 4 3 2 1 Soccer pitches of forest lost this hour, most recent data
Las Palmas Gran Canaria, SpainMost polluted air today, in sensor range
Environmentalists and climate-change activists denounced the decision as an abdication of the agency’s responsibility.
Planners had been looking at nature-based and engineering projects designed to protect the protect the New York-New Jersey coast from rising seas and the costly damage that could result from a catastrophic storm, said Robert Freudenberg, vice president of energy and environment programs at theRegional Plan Association in New York.
“This is a devastating blow to our region and its ability to become resilient and defend itself against extreme storms,” Freudenberg said. “Without this we will continue to have a debate without action about which strategy to pursue. We will remain as vulnerable as we are today, with 2 million people and a multitrillion-dollar economy at risk from floods.”
The Corps did not immediately respond to emails and phone calls requesting comment.
The $19 million study, funded by the U.S. government, New York and New Jersey, was to last at least six years. It began in 2016, four years after Hurricane Sandy hammered the East Coast. It flooded hundreds of homes, killed 72 people and caused billions of dollars of infrastructure damage.
The Corps decision deals a blow to a proposal to build a five-mile retractable storm-surge barrier that could close off New York harbor, stretching from Long Island’s Rockaways to the New Jersey coast.
Estimates of its cost have dropped to about $62 billion from $119 billion, said Malcolm Bowman, an oceanographer at the State University of New York at Stony Brook who met with members of the Corps’ New York office last week. Similar, smaller barriers have protected the Netherlands, St. Petersburg, Russia, New Orleans and other coastal cities.
The cost of the dam-like barrier in New York and its potential impact on marine and river life made the plan controversial. Yet both advocates and detractors denounced the Corps move, saying it would leave the region vulnerable.
Jessica Roff, director of advocacy and engagement for the environmental groupRiverkeeper, which opposed the storm-surge barrier, said the Corps decision “represents a completely abdication of their responsibility.”
Oceanographers and those advocating to address climate change say that the effects of Sandy could be eclipsed by a future storm.
Bowman, who supports construction of the storm-surge barrier, said rising seas and climate change will force officials to reopen the proposal to build such a project.
“Any solution that does not plug the two ocean portals to the harbor is fatally flawed and will only hasten the end of the city as we know it,” Bowman said.
Source: Read Full Article