Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I’m Lydia Ramsey Pflanzer, and today in healthcare news:
- Experts tell us that AstraZeneca’s vaccine is safer than flying on a plane;
- Humana just hired a Goldman Sachs vet to lead corporate development and M&A;
- The most common side effects to expect from each vaccine.
If you’re new to this newsletter, sign up here. Comments, tips? Email me at [email protected] or tweet @lydiaramsey125. Let’s get to it…
Getting AstraZeneca’s shot is safer than flying on a plane, experts say — the bigger problem is an ‘explosion of vaccine skepticism’
- Blood clots are a “very rare” side effect of AstraZeneca’s shot, European regulators said Wednesday.
- But five medical experts told Insider they aren’t convinced the shot actually causes clotting.
- Experts worry that public skepticism may unnecessarily derail AstraZeneca’s global vaccine rollout.
Read more about the risks here>>
Humana just poached a veteran Goldman Sachs banker to lead M&A and corporate development
- Former Goldman banker Logan Nicholson has left to lead Humana’s corporate development and M&A team.
- Nicholson spent 18 years at Goldman, most recently as head of US leveraged finance capital markets.
- Chris Bonner, JPMorgan’s co-head of capital markets, will leave the bank to join Goldman.
Learn more about the move here>>
The most common side effects to expect after your coronavirus vaccine, based on which shot you get
- All three US-authorized coronavirus vaccines can have similar side effects, though they vary slightly.
- Injection-site pain is the most common side effect of all three shots.
- More than 60% of participants in Moderna’s and Pfizer’s trials also reported fatigue.
See the full chart here>>
More stories we’re reading:
- A ‘double mutant’ coronavirus variant found in India was spotted in California — but there’s no evidence it’s ‘doubly scary’ (Insider)
- The lasting impact the pandemic will have on first responders (ProPublica)
- Over a third of COVID-19 survivors experience a neurological condition or mental illness in the 6 months after infection, a large-scale study finds (Insider)
- European regulators are looking into the ethical standards for Russia’s Sputnik vaccine trials (Financial Times)
- How to spot the symptoms of a blood clot (Insider)
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
Source: Read Full Article